Number nine on the list of most remembered movie quotes is this famous line, “Fasten your seatbelts; it’s going to be a bumpy night.” Margo Channing, as played by Bette Davis in the movie All About Eve, may as well have been describing the year 2009 in the peanut industry.
But, through adversity comes enlightenment. Therefore, I cannot say 2009 was all bad. In fact, a few lessons I think we learned in 2009 are as follows:
• We are not afraid of hard work.
• We have a core of very loyal consumers.
• Roller coaster rides like 2009 are not for the faint of heart.
• Back us into a corner and we’ll come out swinging.
• Bad news travels fast; facts in the general press travel much slower.
• We have outstanding people at the helm of the APC, NPB, state associations and other peanut organizations.
• We will work hard to be considered a “safe” food product and ingredient in the future.
• We’ll never take for granted our “good name” or the loyalty of our consumers.
• We are Peanut Proud, Energy For The Good Life, Stamping Out Hunger, Peanut Butter For The Hungry abroad and filling the food banks to feed the hungry in the United States; we are generous with our product, our time, our resources, our money and our hearts.
So to 2009, we say, “So long. See ya’. Adios. Don’t let the door hit you in the backside...and, thanks for the reminder of who we are, what we do and what we stand for.”